Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Where I'm From

I found a great poetry assignment at Blogging In Paris -- you might like to try it yourself. Here's my attempt so far, it's been fun thinking back on my origins:

WHERE I’M FROM

I’m from deep-fried samosas,
sweet potatoes and manioc root.
From the northeast border
of Burundi, high hills,
papaya trees, red dirt.
I’m from the clock-making Mauthes
and the China mission Cornwells.
From “Practice your piano!”
and “God is great, God is good."
I'm from Hyena Cave hikes
and Mount Bachelor weekends,
from Grandma Dorothy's
crossword puzzles
& Grandpa Dan, speaking German
at home, English at school.
I'm from anise-seed wafers
at Christmas, fresh string beans,
stir-fried kale with tofu.
From the antique cookie jar,
the brass Buddha in a corner,
and Dad's Africa slides --
malaria patients and burn victims
cheek by jowl
with burnt sienna sunsets.

2 comments:

don't eat alone said...

Thanks for reminding me about the samosas, one of my favorite things to buy from the street vendors when I was a kid in Nairobi. By this afternoon, I'll have a recipe posted on my site.

Peace,
Milton

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you wrote a wonderful poem. I'm glad you took this up.