Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Friday, January 05, 2007

Words from Katherine Paterson

This morning, I read an interview with Katherine Paterson, author of Bridge to Terabithia and many other books. An excerpt from that interview:

The challenge for those of us who care about our faith and about a hurting world is to tell stories which will carry the words of grace and hope in their bones and sinews and not wear them like fancy dress.

and also:

When a teacher (still a dear friend) of mine in graduate school suggested I ought to be a writer, I was appalled. "I don't want to add another mediocre writer to the world," I said. She helped me (it took years of nudging) to understand that if I wasn't willing to risk mediocrity, I would never accomplish anything. There are simply no guarantees. It takes courage to lay your insides out for people to examine and sneer over. But that's the only way to give what is your unique gift to the world. I have often noted that it takes the thinnest skin in the world to be a writer, it takes the thickest to seek out publication. But both are needed—the extreme sensitivity and the hippo hide against criticism. Send your inner critic off on vacation and just write the way little children play. You can't be judge and creator at the same time.

Wise words.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Wow, I love that paragraph about getting past fears of mediocrity. How encouraging!

Kathering Paterson has written some good book on writing, as well, which I read some years go.

don't eat alone said...

This helped me today.

Peace,
Milton