Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Saturday, December 06, 2008

The Market Square In Marrakesh


A view of the main market at night. We ate dinner at one of the restaurants surrounding the square, with an unobstructed view of the swarm of activity and noise down below. This included: whirling dervishes, cobra charmers, women doing henna hand painting, men with monkeys, little kids selling cigarettes, and many other small businesses.


Some of the infinite varieties of dried fruits and nuts available--walnuts, almonds, sugared and salted peanuts, figs, apricots, a wealth of dates (dried, fresh, regular and gourmet, fat, slender, you name it).


If you can't tell, this booth is selling cooked snails. The huge basin in the middle is brim-full of snails still in their shells and customers sit around the sides of the booth to be served. Don't know if garlic butter is supplied or not.

**Click on the photo if you want to see more details.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Interesting pictures again. I like the piles of dried fruit. I did not know what a "whirling dervish" was except for a line in a song from The Sound of Music. I looked it up just now...it's a good day because I learned something.

Judy in Indiana said...

Your pictures are great. I love the descriotion of what you saw, it sounds like you saw a whole lot in a small amount of time.

Did you have any problem taking pictures with people in them? When I was in Cote d'Ivoire the people did not want to be photographed and were very vocal about it if they thought a canera was pointed their way.

Now I have to go look up whirling dervish, too.

KGMom said...

The dried fruit and nuts look great--but I think I would pass on the snails.

africakidandtheworld said...

Ruth,
Now I'm going to look up the line from Sound of Music, don't remember a whirling dervish in any songs...

Judy,
I didn't take many pictures of people for that very reason--mainly got a few when they looked the other way. But no one yelled at me!

KG Mom,
I wasn't brave enough to try the snails. But the fresh dates were mouthwateringly good.