Sunday, December 20, 2009
Things to Do in December
* Enjoy sparkly lights everywhere--on trees, houses, even boats (in Portland, there's an annual Christmas ship parade on the river)!
* Drink plenty of warm cider, peppermint mochas, hot buttered rum, and of course, Echinachea Plus if it's cold and flu season.
* Sing a few festive songs and carols -- we did that today with people from Crossway Church at our local Salmon Creek hospital.
* Hug someone who needs an extra hug or two.
* Take an action that's a little out of your comfort zone -- maybe throw an open house for neighbors or volunteer to watch a child for a single mom while she takes an evening to herself or anything else you might dream up. And then tell me in the comment section what you did! I'll let you know what I end up doing too.
* Write a poem about winter or God or candy canes or anything even remotely connected with December. Read your poem to at least one other person!
* These easy Cinnamon-Roasted Almonds make a tasty gift:
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water
4 cups whole almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Oven @ 250 degrees. Lightly grease 10 X 15 inch jellyroll pan. Beat egg white; add water & beat until frothy but not stiff. Add nuts and stir until coated. Mix sugar, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over nuts. Toss to coat and spread evenly over pan. Bake for 1 hour in oven, stirring occasionally, until golden. Allow to cool & store nuts in airtight containers.
Those are my ideas. Feel free to add more.