Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Frohe Ostern / Happy Easter

I set my alarm to go off at 5:00 am, because I wanted to drive downtown to the Holy Ghost Church for organ music and hymns in German. But at the last minute I decided I didn't want to venture out in the dark without an assured place to park and another person beside me if I had to walk through sketchy areas of town (Jeff had to stay home with Anna) . Anyway, I ended up sleeping late after tossing and turning all night, possibly from a disguised dose of caffeine. It turned out for the best, though, since our neighbors V. and S. came to a 10:00 service at our regular church with us, along with their little boys. V. is from Ghana, and S. is German, so we have fun asking them about customs in both countries, and comparing notes on Africa. They're blending two quite different cultures in their marriage, and it intrigues me, how they make it work. Afterwards, we went out to eat together, along with another couple, and just laughed and talked. The food was forgettable, but the company was memorable. That's much better than the other way round! Thank God for friends.

1 comment:

MILL ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH said...

A late 'Frohe Ostern' to you, too!

I've just got back from Wittlich, near Trier, where I preached in the FeG on Easter Day - it was a real privilege and we were well looked after by the folk there.

It was great to join in with some of the German Easter traditions and it made me realise that we in the UK have let so many of our Easter traditions slip.