Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Friday, May 09, 2008

Bologna Writer's Panel

I promised to write more about Bologna (oh, only a week or two or three ago!)-- so rooted around in my notebook to find stuff to pass on.

The second day there, I attended a writer's panel. A few ideas that were mentioned:

As a reader, I love -- prose like music; a sense of yearning; writing that casts a spell so strong, I forget I'm reading; caring deeply about the character and any adversity they encounter.
--Susan Fletcher

We are truth-tellers. That's our job.

Young adults will read a book five or ten times. They're searching for connections, for places to help them choose, find direction.

--Susanne Gervay

Don't describe what people will assume. Describe what they won't assume.

I think that writing is almost a vocation.

--Kathleen Duey

No comments: