Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Grace (Eventually)

Our guest pastor today spoke about how we need to allow for blindness, bewilderment, and brokenness in Christian circles -- basically, to stop pretending we've got it all together, and focus on following Jesus, who heals all of us from the inside, out. I love that type of preaching.

His words reminded me of Anne Lamott's writing. And speaking of Anne Lamott, her book, Grace (Eventually), arrives soon in the mail! Here's a quote from one of her essays: I wish grace and healing were more abracadabra kinds of things, that delicate silver bells would ring to announce grace's arrival. But no, it's clog and slog and scootch, on the floor, in silence, in the dark.

Can't wait to sit down & devour the book whole. Along with a cup of hot milky tea, and Murphy the corgi warming my toes.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I just finished Anne's newest book today. It was good, but for some reason it didn't strike me as well as Traveling Mercies, which is an all-time favorite (along with Bird by Bird). Yet these books have a way of growing on me over time, so I may like it better as it "ages." I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Post a review here!

Ruth said...

Thanks for the book tip. "...focus on following Jesus.." Why is that so hard?
Ruth