Saturday, February 28, 2009
Thursday, February 26, 2009
* The stained glass window photo is from inside Strasbourg Cathedral.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
A few photos to prove that the sun does indeed shine in the Northwest in February. Although today, we're back to sheets of rain.
These sculptures stood in the courtyard between a hospital and the medical clinic I visited a few days ago. Vibrant red--a fittlng color for any health facility, eh?
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
I watched this clip and found lots of good stuff to think about. Especially the comments people make re: their perceptions of God and Christians. Funny and sobering at the same time.
A couple years ago Donald Miller interviewed about twenty-five friends and asked them each five questions.
1. What did you think of God/Christians before you became a Christian?
2. When did you realize there was a dark or hard side to life?
3. When did you realize there was a dark or hard side to yourself?
4. What did it look like when God broke into your world?
5. What does your life look like now?
He says, "We put together a little book that takes a similar journey, just processing the idea of Jesus from an outsider's perspective. The book is called “The Open Table” and so is the DVD...I hope they end up being used by folks who have questions about faith and specifically Christianity."
Here's a clip from the DVD, answering the question “What did you think of God/Christians before you became a Christian?”
See http://www.jointheopentable.com/ for more info on the project.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
I really enjoyed this book trailer by Cynthea. During her childhood in Oklahoma, people always asked her "Where are you REALLY from?" That question resonates with me too, as an American child who spent her early years in Africa.
Great video for a multicultural book!
Monday, February 16, 2009
Happy Valentine's Day to you -- from Murphy and his household.
Since he wasn't allowed to sample the chocolate, we treated Murphy to a few extra bites of his doggie kibbles.
Did you do anything special for Valentine's? I got together with my extended family in Newberg, Oregon. So nice to drive an hour to see them, instead of taking a long Lufthansa flight and all the other hassle!
I do miss Danielle and David, our 2 oldest children, off in Germany and Michigan respectively. See you both in May and I love you guys.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
This clip gives a glimpse of the Burundi Drummers in action. I especially liked the older drummer at the start and the group's amazingly athletic performance 5:25 minutes into the video. Watch for the littlest drummer -- he looks to be all of 4 years old and steals the show!
* Photo from Encyclopedia Britannica (Bruno De Hogues—Stone/Getty Images)
Monday, February 09, 2009
But now I've re-joined the land of the living! I like being able to breathe normally again.
A few first impressions from the day we landed:
* How weird to walk into a store and understand people's conversations, without even trying.
* Nobody clapped when the plane landed safely. I like that European custom!
* Free water in restaurants. A novel concept.
* How can there be an entire row in the grocery store dedicated to various types of salad dressing?