Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Friday, May 16, 2008

Grief in China

Everything about the recent tragedy in China makes me sad. And there's one aspect I hadn't thought of until I read this article in the New York Times--for parents whose children were killed in school collapses after the earthquake, "too many of the dead are children in a country where most families are allowed to have only one." I can't imagine.

The end of the piece quotes a Mr. Li. He and his wife are trying to fit pink pyjamas on their daughter's body before cremation:

He said he was angry and sad. He said his daughter’s body was still warm when he found her at the morgue on Wednesday. He wondered how long she lived beneath the rubble. And then he turned away, leaning down slightly, and whispered in her ear.

“My little daughter,” he said quietly. “You used to dress yourself. Now I have to do it for you.”


I wish I could help out somehow. No parent should have to go through this.

Addendum:
I'm pretty sure the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, whom we support, will be helping. Also, World Relief (different group, similar name)is launching an emergency response in China. My brother, Dan, works for WR.

1 comment:

Judy in Indiana said...

It is heartbreaking, and I also grieve for those in Myanmar/Burma. Help is so close and the government is too proud to accept what could help save their nation. Maybe it is agood thing I cannot imagine the pain of the world, I could not bear it.