Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Cathedrals and Crepes Chocolat


Yesterday, I helped drive for a fieldtrip down to Strasbourg, France. Anna took a two-evening class in simple French conversation and the class ended with a day trip so that everyone could practice speaking and learn more about this region of Alsace Lorraine (which has alternated between German and French ownership through the years).

Anna took the cathedral shot--I like her perspective! Without a wide-angle lens, this captures some of the immensity.

A lonely gargoyle on the side of Strasbourg cathedral...and a little boy who wants a closer look.

The square in front of the cathedral is a great place to people-watch. I'm coming back to climb the steps to the viewing platform when it's open. Our guide said on a clear day you can see all the way to the Black Forest from up top.

The kids sampled tarte flambee and desert crepes for lunch. I snuck away in the afternoon for a visit to the boulangerie--had to take home some pain au chocolat for the family, after all.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Looks wonderful!

The kitty-corner cathedral makes quite an impression. I remember rooming with Aila from Darmstadt my junior year in high school in Singapore. She had a poster of the Freibourg (sp?) cathedral spire on our wall. I assume you've been there.... I loved the poster and was delighted to see the real thing a few years later.