Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Monday, May 01, 2006

Another Way of Seeing

Last week, I had the privilege of sitting in on an interview with Makoto Fujimura, an artist who lives and works in the center of New York city. He spoke with thoughtfulness and humility about painting, writing and life in general.

A few quotes from that interview:

"Artists can be the leaders and peacemakers of the world."

"Epiphany takes place, even in ground zero. It's the responsibility of the poet (painter/ musician/etc.) to respond and be open to that epiphanic experience."
"Reconciliation is not possible. But God calls us to it, and it happens through generations."

"Each painting is a sort of confessional to me--usually dealing with issues that I'm dealing with spiritually. My heart becomes transparent."

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Wow! This image really struck me-- even set it as my desktop so that I could come back to it later. Followed your link and found his blog with some more really interesting pieces.

Thanks!

africakidandtheworld said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I could spend a long time browsing through Fujimura's essays alone, not to mention his paintings.