Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Frenchman's Bay, Maine

Friday, September 30, 2005

German class

It's been interesting going to German class four days a week. Every morning I get up, shoo my youngest off to school, and then dash out the door for Heidelberg. We have two teachers, an English woman who's lived here for many years, and a young German woman. Makes for a nice contrast, hearing about the culture from someone who moved here and had to adapt, and then from a local.

I do have to say one thing: German verb conjugations are a pain! But I've been assured that it will come more easily as I learn and memorize the many irregular verbs. This experience gives me great admiration for the Europeans who grow up speaking four or five languages (or should I say envy...). In our class we have sixteen women and a man. His name is Angel, and it doesn't seem to faze him to be so outnumbered. Also, one of the women is due to give birth any day; when I was pregnant and as big as her, no way would I have agreed to sit for two and a half hours at a cramped little desk! She's made of strong stuff, obviously.

Anyway, that's how I spent much of the last two weeks, along with homework every night. Woke up with Deutsche words going through my head...maybe they'll stick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

learning a langague is NOT easy.

when someone commented to a Dutch friend that he was lucky to speak four languages well, he replied *No. We had to work hard. Luck wasn't involved*

I'm studying Swedish now at the age of 45 (bishop's orders) andit's hard. not as hard as Finnish but I started learning that 20 years ago!